“Fast forward to today… Organized Labor is in an exceptional period of both transition and opportunity right now. Not in any of our lifetimes has there been a political and social environment this favorable to working people and our right to organize! We have the most pro-union administration in the white house in over 75 years. Recently, the Executive Council of the AFL-CIO elected the most diverse leadership team in the history of the AFL-CIO. And more broadly, the face of the rank and file of Labor is changing across the country. Labor Unions are more broadly popular now than they’ve been in over 60 years and our youngest workers are our biggest backers. Now is the time – Now is our time. It is time to embrace the pace and the changing nature of the workplace, workers, workers’ rights and to fight for what is rightfully ours.
- Protections for collective bargaining agreements,
- The right to health and safety protections,
- The right to a livable wage,
- Universal paid sick leave and family and medical leave,
- Protections for whistleblowers,
- An end to worker misclassification,
- Health care security,
- Support for childcare,
- And the ability to hold corporations accountable for meeting their responsibilities.
This is where we go from here. This is where we must focus our fire. And it starts right here… this very evening.”
(Brian Griffin, Executive Secretary – Treasurer, Cincinnati AFL-CIL Labor Council)