UNITED WAY OF GREATER CINCINNATI
POSITION TITLE: Labor Engagement Specialist
UNIT/ORGANIZATION: Community Engagement
REPORTS TO: Chief Community Engagement Officer, United Way of Greater Cincinnati
JOB CODE: 11
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
DATE UPDATED: October 27, 2022
GENERAL FUNCTION: The Labor Engagement Specialist will support United Way of Greater Cincinnati’s (UWGC) efforts to increase family economic well-being through systems change work by serving as a primary liaison for United Way in the labor movement and with the AFL-CIO. The Specialist will focus on engaging labor in community volunteering, advocacy, and fundraising while representing United Way within the labor movement.
The position will also assess opportunities to connect United Way resources and programming to the labor community to support members’ own economic well-being.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Percentage of time:
10% 1. Acts as official liaison:
a) between UWGC and the Cincinnati AFL-CIO Labor Council; and
b) between organized labor and the network of services available.
10% 2. Develop and activate a UWGC/Labor Community Advisory Committee populated with Labor Leaders and Key Members of the AFL-CIO, one hundred plus affiliated local unions with an overall charter to assist UWGC by making and implementing suggestions, proposals, programs, campaigns and other recommendations to the Chief Community Engagement Officer related to Labor’s role in supporting and sustaining UWGC mission, vision, strategic initiatives, major programs, and services.
50% 3. Manage the activities of union participation in United Way’s fundraising
campaign. Recruit labor Ambassadors to work on United Way fundraising campaign. Outline the Ambassadors objectives and monitor performance metrics related to:
• # of labor volunteer activities held in community
• # of labor community members engaged in volunteering for United Way-sponsored volunteer events
• # of United Way fundraising events attended with labor workforces
• $ raised by union members for United Way campaign (focusing on long-term growth)
20% 4. Provide information, guidance and advocacy service to individuals in need of referrals for assistance.
10% 5. Participate in the development of annual performance objectives for this position.
JOB RELATIONSHIPS WITH: United Way of Greater Cincinnati staff, AFL-CIO Labor Council – both affiliates and non-affiliates, representatives of public and private agencies, and local union members.
CORE COMPETENCIES: Measurable Impact, Self-starter, Interpersonal Skills, Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills are critical in this role, excellent communication skills (oral and written)
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Five years’ experience in organized labor; two years previous experience in a fundraising, development, sales, communication and/or public relations capacity is preferred.
• Proficiency in MS Office; SCRM preferred.
• Demonstrated organizational, mobilization, and administrative skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills required, including public speaking and presentation skills.
• Normal office environment with little exposure to dust, noise, temperature, and the like.
• Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
• Must have reliable transportation.
• Occasional travel to events within the regional area.
All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This position description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Team members may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor.
Has this position been filled?
Position is still open. Please send your resume to email@example.com Thanks!
I am interested in learning more about this position. Can you provide the pay scale and benefits information.
Pay is commencement with experience and benefits will be through United Way. I can get further information. Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks!